Green smoothies seem to be all the rage these days. So what’s so great about green smoothies? Are they really that good for you, or is it all just hype? Trying to incorporate leafy green vegetables into your diet can feel overwhelming at first, and green smoothies are a great way to get started. Some greens that you may initially not enjoy in a salad can be sneaked into a smoothie. Put a small handful of spinach in your kids berry smoothie and they may not even notice! They are also a convenient and tasty way to pack in some nutrients.
5 reasons to you should try them
1. Nutrient Density. Leafy greens such as kale, collard greens and bok choy are some of the most nutrient dense foods that you can eat. Nutrient density refers to the quantity of nutrients per calorie. That means if you compare 100 calories of leafy greens to 100 calories of a less nutrient food (for example: white potato), you would get much more nutrients for the same amount of calories. See my blog post on nutrient density for more details.
2. Less chewing. Chewing is an important phase of digestion. Let’s face it, we often don’t have time to sit down and chew up a big bowl of greens. Let the blender do some chewing for you.
3. Improved nutrient absorption. When our food is well chewed, more of the food is able to be absorbed in the small intestine. Be sure to include some healthy fats in your smoothie such as seeds or nuts to improve the digestion of fat-soluble vitamins.
4. Tastes great! It can take time for our taste buds to adjust to a new way of eating. As you get used to eating leafy greens, blending them with delicious fruits and juices can help you introduce the new foods to your taste buds.
5. They are portable. You can fix a smoothie, pour it in a cup and drink it anywhere on the go. Just be sure to check your teeth in the mirror before you go flashing a big smile to anyone!
Green smoothie tips
Wanna learn how to make your own?
Reishi mushroom powder is now available as an add-on to your juices and smoothies at PuraVegan. It is also available for purchase to take home (50 servings) in our retail area. This reishi powder is
In traditional chinise medicine, reishi mushrooms are a staple and often are consumed daily. The polysaccharides in mushrooms appear to act as antioxidants that protect your immune system, according to the Breast Cancer website. Reishi is known for containing adaptogenic properties that aid with combating stress, which is a major contributor to chronic illness.